Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Never Stop Exploring - a notebook project with Brooke





Happy Wednesday CTK community!


Brooke here today to share with you the rundown on this fun, colorful spread in my art journal/notebook. 


(But first off, a quick sidebar about the whys of choosing to create this spread in my "art journal/notebook" rather than in my traveler's notebook.  When I start out with a general idea and I know I'll want a little more room to play, I'll opt to use this notebook.  I use a Midori MD grid notebook.  It's A5 size, aka cahier (I think), which is about 8.3"x5.8".  It's slightly wider than a standard traveler's notebook which I find to be the perfect size for a less than minimal composition.  Also, this notebook has a faint grid background (LOVE), which comes in handy to keep my handwriting in check when I know I'll have a bit more journaling than usual.)


Ok, back to the business...




I started by cutting out a couple of the angles from this yellow patterned paper to serve as a base.




Adding to the yellow angles, I cut a layer of colorful shapes from the patterned paper shown above.  I often start a project with the intent of focusing on a certain element as my main design point.  This Amy Tangerine patterned paper was the initial inspiration for this spread and where I thought I'd be the most focused on, however, as you'll see, this project evolved into something a little different and in the end, you don't necessarily see these colorful shapes all too much.




Once I opened this pack of dies-cuts from the new Crate Paper line, Cool Kid, I had a clear vision of what this project would be.  I arranged a bunch of my favorite pieces around the page until I was happy with the placement.




Next, I used these puffy stickers from the same line to add dimension and texture.  The clear backing of this sticker sheet makes the sticker-placing process a breeze!




I tucked the photo behind some of the elements to blend the photo and the die-cuts together.  I wanted it to look like a big cluster of encouragement going towards the direction of my son.  And of course, there's T-Rex, because T-Rex is boss in my son's world.




On the opposite page, another cluster of embellishments and my title. 


So often, I'm not thinking about titling my projects until the very end.  I'm always pulling inspiration for my journaling and titles from the words and phrases pre-printed on the products I'm using.  This month's kits include so many title possibilities and journaling prompts that this title-challenged girl is in heaven!




Here's a closer look at some of the details.  You'll notice I used staples here and there to secure the clear plastic pieces to the page.


And here's a look at the final spread...




I really loved every one of the main and add-on kits this month.  The collection of items can be used to create such a good variety of projects.  And now I know I've said this before, but Trina always packs the kits with so much product! 


I hope this post has you super excited to start creating with your August kits! It's definitely a good month!!  I can't wait to see what you all create!  Don't forget to tag your projects with #citrustwistkits on social media so we can find your projects and leave some love. 


Supplies Used: Kits - August 2016 Kaleidoscope main scrapbook kit, August 2016 Wild Child add-on kit, Other - tiny attacher, dot glue adhesive runner, black Uni-Pin pen, Midor MD grid notebook, Hobonichi notebook cover

2 comments:

  1. This is the perfect mix of journaling and scrapbooking! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect mix of journaling and scrapbooking! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete